Monday, August 2, 2010

Chocolate Cupcakes with Oreo Cream Cheese frosting


I offered to bake for a coworker's birthday. I asked him what his favorite flavors would be. He told me that he liked chocolate, carrot and cream cheese. I was not in the mood to attempt carrot cake so I decided I would make some cupcakes that was chocolate with a cream cheese frosting. I decided on Oreos because everyone loves Oreos, right?

Most of the Oreo frosting recipes I found were butter cream or whipped cream which sounded delicious but not what I was looking for this time. In the end, I combined a cake recipe I liked with a frosting recipe I liked. It turned out great!




I decided to add half Oreos to the bottom of each cupcake for an added surprise.


Blurry picture but the cupcakes look great already! The batter for these were unlike any other cake batter I've used. It is has a pudding-ish consistency.


Here's my finished product. I loved using the mini Oreos as decor. I feel like the full size Oreos don't look quite right.



Here's a horrible picture that shows the innards of the cupcake. Sooo tasty.


RECIPE: I ended up with 3 dozen cupcakes

I found the chocolate cake recipe here: Chocolate cake


Too Much Chocolate Cake

Ingredients1 (18.25 ounce) package devil’s food cake mix
1 (5.9 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
1 cup sour cream
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1/2 cup warm water
2 cups miniature chocolate chips
36 Oreo halves (cream attached) (Reserve the other side for the frosting)




Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place cupcake liners in 3 cupcake pans. Place the Oreo half (with cream attached) cream side up in each.
In a large bowl, mix together the cake and pudding mixes, sour cream, oil, beaten eggs and water. Stir in the chocolate chips and pour batter into cupcake pans.


Bake for 21-25 minutes, or until top is springy to the touch. (Because of the chocolate chips, a toothpick won't really come out clean) Cool cupcakes thoroughly in pan.

Frosting (the original recipe can be found here:The Red Deer )
Cream Cheese Oreo Frosting

8 oz package of cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
3-4 cups icing sugar
1/2 t vanilla extract
Crushed Oreos reserved from cake recipe (I used my food processor to make it fine so it would not clog the frosting tip)

Whip cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Mix in powdered sugar one cup at a time. Add vanilla extract. Gently stir in crushed Oreos.





I have a feeling that I will get requests for these in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment