Thursday, August 19, 2010

Easy Homemade Marshmallows!






I made this recipe for another recipe. I could use store bought marshmallows but I have always been curious about making marshmallows. It seems so intimidating. Not only that though, everything I've ever read about homemade marshmallows say they are beyond compare with store bought marshmallows. I figured I should give these a try. I did buy marshmallows as a back up though...you never know!

I thought I had wax paper but didn't. I used foil instead for some reason and forgot to butter it but it turned out great!

What I like about this recipe is that it doesn't have a lot of ingredients. It's very simple.



Easy Homemade Marshmallows : Source

3/4 cup water
2 cups sugar
2 tbsp gelatin
1/2 cup cold water
1/8 tsp salt
1 tbsp vanilla extract
butter and powdered sugar for prepping pan

Prepare 8×8 baking dish or pan by buttering it and the sides. stick a piece of wax paper at the bottom with edges hanging over the sides for easy removal later. Butter wax paper and sides of pan again, and dust with powdered sugar.
Dissolve gelatin and 1/2 cup cold water in mixer bowl with whisk attachment and mix while completing the rest of the steps.

Bring 3/4 cup to slow boil. stir in sugar, and whisk until sugar is dissolved and mixture is bubbling. continue cooking on medium heat for 15 minutes or so, whisking every now and then to ensure even heating.

Pour mixture over gelatin with mixer running. Mix for 20-30 minutes, until cool and fluffy. You'll see it turn into Marshmallow fluff!

Using a rubber spatula, pour fluff into prepped baking dish and flatten. Cover with plastic wrap on top to flatten. Place in freezer.


Remove from freezer when set (10 hours or so). Remove using wax paper to lift out of pan. Slice with a pizza cutter or cookie cutters. They will be EXTREMELY sticky. Coat each piece in powdered sugar and store in an air-tight container for up to 2 weeks.



The end result was impressive. I did a side by side taste test and had to agree with other bloggers, there is no contest. I wish I had more to enjoy but these will go to my next tasty post.

No comments:

Post a Comment